...pulled over, $250 citation for illegal tints *UPDATE*
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

...pulled over, $250 citation for illegal tints *UPDATE*

and how mad am i? umm.. pretty damn pissed off... i'm on my way home from school today to see my dad whom i havent seen for a year, goin eastbound on the Mass Pike (I-90) near Worcester ... I'm going about 75-80 in the passing lane, and all of a sudden a MA State trooper is following me, turns on his lights and that is that....<p>i originally had 33% legal tints all the way around and I felt it wasn't dark enough so I got another layer of 35% double-layered on... I knew it was real dark, but I didn't know cops would be assholes about it.... he pulls out the meter and it read 12% ... I had just gotten these tinted like 2 weeks ago! $250 fine right there!<p>What I'm planning on doing is getting the fronts back to 35% and then appealing it in court... hopefully they will knock it down a notch or even throw it out....<p>anyone with experience in illegal tinting citations?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear

Re: ...pulled over, $250 citation for illegal tints (xpress1.8t)

sorry to hear that man.

Does Mass law have fix-it tickets? You fix the problem, prove it to the court, and then you walk away with a warning?

Unfortunately though, 12% will get any cop's attention. The lack of tinted cars in Mass just make our cars more noticeable especially since the unmarked state trooper cars and decoys are on the 90 with 5-10 % tint.

1st Gear

Re: ...pulled over, $250 citation for illegal tints (julianfang)

well the cop told me if i wanted to contest it then fix the problem, call Worcester District Court and set up an appeal hearing. then he said they might just lower the fine or sometimes throw it away

5th Gear

the only catch is that if you only return the fronts to 35 and then you go to court...they may test your windows. If they don't test the front, then you're still in trouble...Maybe you can get a doctor friend to write a note that the tint is required for a medical condition???? Not the best idea, but it's worked before...but you didn't hear that from me.

2nd Gear

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I knew it was real dark, but I didn't know cops would be assholes about it.... he pulls out the meter and it read 12% ... I had just gotten these tinted like 2 weeks ago! $250 fine right there!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the legal tint in MA? Police view tinting as a real hazard to them in terms of not being able to see what the occupants of a vehicle are doing. For them it's a safety thing ... for us it's a cosmetic thing (unless you live in areas where the sun is brutal).

5th Gear

Re: ...pulled over, $250 citation for illegal tints (MN Snowman)

35% is the legal tint in MA. And even that percentage is quite obvious when you're in a sea of untinted cars.

PassatWorld Staff

Re: ...pulled over, $250 citation for illegal tints (julianfang)

did you aks him why he didn't charge you another $50 for calling it tints?

It suckss that you got caught, but 12%... come on.

2nd Gear

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>and how mad am i? umm.. pretty damn pissed off...

/snip/

i originally had 33% legal tints all the way around and I felt it wasn't dark enough so I got another layer of 35% double-layered on... I knew it was real dark, but I didn't know cops would be assholes about it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The old adage "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime" seems to apply here. although it might be better stated "if you can't pay the dime, don't do the crime."

4th Gear

Damn, $250 for illegal tint? Is your front windshield tinted also? That's a good amount of change.
    I got 20% mirror tint all around and 43% black tint on the windshield, had it for about a year now but never got pulled over for it....(knock on wood).

3rd Gear

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>and how mad am i? umm.. pretty damn pissed off...

/snip/

The old adage "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime" seems to apply here. although it might be better stated "if you can't pay the dime, don't do the crime."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen on that. I'm not a fan of tint at all. But to each his own.

You knew what you were doing when you did it. No need to be pissed. Consider it your price for coolness.

Knowingly violating the law and then being pissed off when you get caught is pretty small. Be a big boy and pony up the bucks.

I speed pretty bad on the open roads in Cali. I know I'll get caught, but already have rationalized the fine I will get and consider it the price to play the game.

2nd Gear

Damn man, $250?? I know down here in LA (CA) it's $75 if the officer puts "YES" as the dismisal on the ticket, meaning that you have to take the tints off, pay $75 and $10 for the dismisal (FIT IT TICKET). If the officer puts "NO" for the dismisal, meaning that he feels that the problem is not fixable and/or you was aware of the fact that tints are ilegal, then fine is $110, but you don't have to remove your tints.

Now to fight a tint ticket is very simple, I'm not friends with my doctor, but all I did was turn around and tell him my face always burns when I'm driving in my car, and sometimes I can't drive it's soo bad, the doctor him self told me to get tints for my car, and I told him it's against the law, and he wrote me a note that I took to the judge to fight my ticket, which I won. Everytime I get pulled over now I explain to the officer and show him the paper work!

Good luck on yours!

4th Gear

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>
    i originally had 33% legal tints all the way around and I felt it wasn't dark enough so I got another layer of 35% double-layered on... I knew it was real dark, but I didn't know cops would be assholes about it.... he pulls out the meter and it read 12% ... I had just gotten these tinted like 2 weeks ago! $250 fine right there!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

eat up the fine dude.....u dont have to be pissed off as youre the one who wanted it.

1st Gear

Re: ...pulled over, $250 citation for illegal tints (natskiboy)

yeah i know i was risking a fine for looks, but when someone gets pulled over and a fine, obviously one will get mad... and no im not gonna eat up the fine, especially when the cop says i have a chance to knock it down or dismiss it.

4th Gear

They always have given me fix-it tickets. Sorry!

DAMN THE MAN!!!!!

Neutral

Re: ...pulled over, $250 citation for illegal tints (Thumber)

In Texas, if you fail, they give you a razor to start peeling it off the drivers window. And if you refuse? Well, it's going to cost more than $250, I promise.

I like the dime saying though. I've gotten more tickets for disturbing the peace (dumps), slicks, inspection, etc., etc. than anyone else I know. But I've never blamed the cop, he's just doing his job. It's me who is being stupid.

4th Gear

Re: ...pulled over, $250 citation for illegal tints (Flak)

every day on my commute i see a car with tinted windows pulled over, esp. by the local cops. tint is asking for trouble imo.

1st Gear

Re: ...pulled over, $250 citation for illegal tints (scotty_passat)

ahh.... so sad... these tints look so hot too.... the shop that i got tinted at, says it will be $60 to strip and re-do the fronts... not bad compared to $250... hopefully the court will knock it down once i fix it

3rd Gear

IMO putting tint on your car is like speeding. It's fun and cool, but if you get caught it will cost you, and there is only one person to blame.

It sucks that the ticket costs so much, good luck in court.

2nd Gear

Re: ...pulled over, $250 citation for illegal tints (alex310)

I just got a ticket for tint two weeks ago. But like others have mentioned, I didn't get mad about it for a variety of reasons, including:

1) I knew it was illegal when I did it, so I knew it was simply a matter of time before I was caught.

2) The cop graciously gave me a choice. Speeding ticket ($150.00 plus one point) or fix-it ticket ($10.00, no point)

3) He didn't notice, (or comment,) on the lack of front license plate.

The result? I'm getting the tint removed, and not replacing it. (Front driver and passenger.) Also, I'm finally getting the front bracket put on and replacing the front license plate.

Why? I'm too busy to deal with the hassle of having an illegal car.

1st Gear

Get it fixed and go to court to have the fee reduced or throw out.

1st Gear

Re: ...pulled over, $250 citation for illegal tints (Gimps Unlimited)

Just one question Calvin.

At 12%, how the hell did you see? It must have been like driving in a total eclipse all the time.

1st Gear

Re: ...pulled over, $250 citation for illegal tints (garifenton)

its really not bad seeing. you can see everything. its seeing inside that is real dark.

1st Gear
    Just had my appeal hearing today for the illegal tints today at the Worcester District Court.... showed the clerk-magistrate and the trooper my receipt for fixing the illegal tints.... walked off scott-free... saved myself $250.

1st Gear
    60 for the fix is definitely better than 250+60....

Lucky dog!

4th Gear
    Here in the Denver, CO area the local and state coppers like to pull over the real obvious offenders. Namely the Honda crowd with their tinted out black, low riding, big exhausts and even bigger touring winged cars. :roll:

Those guys get it all the time. Me in my outwardly mild modded Family sedan with 28% window tint, they don't bother. I've never been pulled over for a window tint violation. But I was pulled for a speeding ticket a while back and the motorcycle cop told me that if his light meter wasn't in the shop he thought he'd be handing me a razor blade right about then. :-P 8) It was stupid though. The human eye can't really tell the difference between 35% tint and 28% tint unless they are side by side. This dumb cop had these very bad and cheesy dark plastic Oakley knock-off glasses on. So for him to tell me that he, "couldn't even see inside my car" was totally ludicrist! The glasses had to be about a 5% light transmission plastic, add to that my window tint. I'm just suprises he could see at all! :weirdo: :suspicio:

4th Gear
    Chas, Colorado's legal limit is 27% so the cop couldn't have done anything anyway. I am getting ready to take the dive into getting mine done. It's been almost 10 years since I've had to get windows tinted.

4th Gear
    I was almost certain the shop guy told me legal limit in Colorado was 35%.

Hmmm...

4th Gear
    in MD, its 35%, i had 20% on my old car. i was driving home from work at about 2 in the marning, a cops makes a frickin U-turn and pulls me over. he gives me a work-order slip, meaning i have 90 days to get it fixed. never got it fixed, now my old car isnt legally registered any longer.
    in the words of Bone Thugs-N-Harmony: F-ck tha police.

&lt;--not my thumb

Neutral
    For those interested, here's a link to a site that I found a while ago listing the various tints allowed.

http://www.gilafilms.com/auto/car_tint_laws.html

I hope it helps.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas
    I was almost certain the shop guy told me legal limit in Colorado was 35%.

Hmmm...
    Chas on my last dub, about 10 years ago I had it done and I believe at least at that time the limit was 25% and it still may be 25% (because I did 25% and the shop refused to do illegal tinting). Rian is the one that told me it is 27%.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information