Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Shuddering Passat

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  hughc 
#1 ·
We've just recently swapped out the auto transmission in my 2005 Passat Tdi wagon with a manual 5 sp. I bought the wagon with a bad transmission so really can't compare the before and after but, as a manual shifting vehicle, it is very enjoyable.
On hard acceleration there is a shudder felt which is no doubt related somehow to the drivetrain and we have yet to determine what is causing it. The shudder is never felt under normal acceleration or even somewhat brisk acceleration.
I really have to floor it to feel that shudder. Any ideas what might causing it?
I should add that we also removed the counterbalance oil pump arrangement and replaced it with a conventional type oil pump..
Overall I am extremely happy with the "new " Passat.

#5 ·
You made two good choices. If you are hearing this around the 2000 RPM range in 5th (a little higher in the lower gears) this is normal and belive it or not I have determined most is coming from the air the turbo pressure is running through the pipes. Some of it is drive train related too. They can spool up to 22 PSI stock. I have a TDTuning stage 2 tune with my conversion and have the same thing. I am running around 24 PSI. I have heard it with BSM deletes and geared BSMs with manuals. You don't typically hear it with automatics since the computer is comtrolling the revs.

#6 ·
Thank you. I don't hear it as much as feel it but I've pretty well decided to accept it. I really have to stomp on the accelerator to notice it. I've replaced both engine mounts as one was noticeably bad and there may be a slight reduction in the shuddering as a result.. Honestly, I don't habitually stomp on the accelerator but it's a little disconcerting when it happens.
I also had the Malone stage 1.5 tune and the extra power feels real good on the highway

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.