Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Mountain Driving with TDI

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  jhinsc 
#1 ·
Anyone have any experience with mountain driving with a TDI? Any problems. Have trip planned this summer in Wyoming with lots of mountains involved.

#5 · (Edited)
No need for much discussion... Drive on!

Today a 400 MILE round trip from Elmira/Corning, NY to Hamburg, PA. Route was over the highest point on Rt 15 and about 100 miles of Interstate followed by mountain roads. Home by way of mostly rural two lane roads with a long stretch of Rt.220 which is again very rural and threads over our low mountains.

Fuel economy average was 49.7 mpg. What more can I say?

#9 ·
Drove up to Asheville. NC yesterday from SC - no problem! Even the steepest uphill, I had to slow down because I was passing everyone. Mileage was about 43 according to my MFI, so about 41.5 - 42 actual, which I'll check when I fillup when I'm back home. That's with the first part of the trip down to Charlestion, idling for 1 1/2 hrs while I in for a doctor's apt, to keep the dog cool, then another 20 min idling when we stopped for lunch, until we arrived in Asheville at 5:15 pm. So from 9:45 am to 5:15 pm, the engine was always on, and I still have just over 1/2 tank left!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.