Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Need some advice fixing deep car scratch

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  zookmaster 
#1 · (Edited)
I've picked a deep scratch which removed paint. I used my correct color touch up paint to go over the marks and I can still see kind of see the marks. I don't have the correct sanding paper right now or another other things I may need. What do I need to remove it?

Tree Wood Rock Art

See less See more
#2 ·
Zook,

I'm afraid nobody has answered your question because there is no quick fix. In order to do a proper repair there are several things we need to consider. Metal damage is first. If the metal has been deeply scratched or stretched it needs to be repaired. If no metal damage, you still have major paint problems which really require professionals to address.

The damaged area will need to be sanded down probably to bare metal. This is going to entail a considerable area around the present damage as the finished product must be level with the original finish. Depending on metal condition probably a filling primer and a lot of careful sanding to get to a point where color can be applied. Color coat will go over the primer. (It takes a very good body man to properly match colors and to level the finish.) Clear coat is next and has to be blended into the original clear. This is a difficult process if you wish to make the repair invisible. Then careful buffing.

In other words neither a can of bug bomb nor an applicator of touch up is going to do the job. Not if you wish for a real repair.

#3 ·
I initially had a paint chip/scratch then I decided to sand,primer and paint over the area. Some of it didn't have damage but got primered and painted anyway. During the drying process and I think it rained maybe once and then I had flat spots on the area. Later on these cracks that are in the picture started to appear aswell as a bubbles on another section. How can I repair this and what can I do to prevent this on the respray?

#4 ·
Zook,

First photo I can pretty easily answer. You're attempting a repair on a plastic surface and conventional methods don't usually work well. Proper surface preparation and primer are necessary components of a successful end product. At minimum you would do well to speak with a professional re-finisher.

Second photo is a mystery. Where on the car is this defect? All the same it would appear that my advice above remains valid. The sub-surface was likely not properly prepared. I suspect this is again a plastic piece ( rear bumper ?) and that you failed to remove some sort of contamination before paint was applied. By now you're aware that bug bomb paints aren't really much of an answer on today's cars. In truth what you're asking (blending to existing finish) is difficult even for a professional.

I wish I could be more positive but the best results would probably be removal of the panel, total prep, then primer and paint. My experience is that blending seamlessly into a highly visible area is difficult at minimum and usually disappointing as slight changes in the differing finishes over time will cause nothing but heartache.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.