Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Best way to repair paintwork?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  zookmaster 
#1 ·
I've had lots of little white dots on the car where paint has been chipped but I don't know what is causing it as I've seen in on the roof and now there seems to be more. I also lightly knocked another car when parking and have weird type of corrosion.

See less See more
#2 ·
Clearcoat chips on black cars often look "white" because of the contrast with the color coat. They also look worse when paste wax accumulates and fries in them.

I touch them up with a paint pen in my color code (L041) whenever I give my Passat a spa day, and I have also switched to using Maguires Black Wax for seasonal UV protection. It dries clear, so if I can't get it out of every chip depression, it doesn't look as bad as traditional paste compound or wax.

:wrench:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
Hard to see in that photo (too small.) Send me a full size pic by email if you like (keithwbloom at gmail dot com) and I'll have a second look at scuff.

A snow plow scuffed my driver's side front wheel arch, but did not gouge through the clear coat except in a couple of parallel linear scratches. I filled the gouges with touch-up paint, sanded most of the scuff away with 1600 grit wet paper with lots of water (and in the process, leveled any high spots from touch-up paint daubs) and then polished the haze away with rubbing then polishing compounds on a soft cutting pad.

Can't see it unless you are really looking for it, > 2ft and you can't see it at all.

:wrench:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.