Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Turbo replaced at 28k miles.

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Verilux 
#1 ·
Hi all! I bought a 2013 Passat SE May 16, 2013, it currently has 28,000 miles on it and I take very good care of it. 2 weeks ago I just started my trip to work (75 miles one way / 95% highway) when the glow plug indicator came on and I lost most power. I was able to get it to a dealer, who, after contacting VW technician support determined my turbo was shot and needed to be replaced. The support tech said that they have seen this only a couple of times and it was the first incident seen at my dealership, he said the replacement was a larger turbo, pump, pipe, filters and everything.It took a week and a half to do the job (new Passat gas for the loaner - 6 miles on it!) most of the time was waiting for parts.
I have 2 questions, 1 - on my commute there are a couple of small mountains, I usually shift into neutral and coast down the hills, maybe 1 to 2 miles, averaging 200mpg until I shift into drive again, optimizing my fuel economy. I have averaged about 50 mpg on this trip. I also read the manual which says not to do this but I discussed it with my mechanic and he doesn't see a problem with it. My last car, a Subaru Legacy had 250000 miles on it doing this with no transmission problem. So the question is - does anybody know if this is OK or really bad and could it affect the turbo? Yes, this is the DSG transmission.
Question 2 is - is a bigger turbo going to affect my MPG? I think I would have more power and torque but I won't be happy if this repair decreases my mpg because that is why I bought this diesel in the first place!
I would appreciate any constructive comments or opinions!
Rick
2013 Glacier Blue Passat SE w/ Sunroof!

See less See more
#2 ·
Please go to Fred's TDI Club and register there. It would appear that turbo problems may be systemic for reasons yet unclear. I don't say this as if the sky is falling, however it appears that we have a serious problem that VW needs to address.

As to reduced economy with a larger turbo? I expect that you'll see very little difference. Most obvious might be slightly more lag when stuffing your foot into the accelerator. Other than that less stress for the unit overall. Think of it this way... A larger turbo than original? These turbos are little guys and a bigger turbo won't be much bigger.

#5 ·
I too had to replace turbo at 23,000! I am first owner (car had stayed within VW as a "fleet" vehicle for it's first 10,000 miles) and was purchased only seven months prior to turbo failure. Thankfully car was sold with full warranty. However, last week the high pressure fuel pump failed while I was driving at 50 mph (not a fun experience - BMW issued recall over this same issue back in October of 2010) and it is back in at the dealership.....have had a rental car for a week now....still waiting. Waiting to see what fails next. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.