Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

AdBlue question...

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Rez1 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry, I ended up with a double post. Don't see any way to delete 2nd post

#3 ·
Same place in the trunk . I haven't had to fill it, but you can get a bottle from the dealer or various places online with the spill - less feature

#4 ·
Yes, I understand the approved filler bottle shouldn't leak. That said, the only time we had the AdBlue tank serviced was at a regular VW dealer in our area and they spilled some AdBlue. We only noticed it about 3 weeks later when it started to "grow". Looked like a mini snowstorm in/around the service point. Not know what it was, we cleaned it up with a damp cloth which seemed to take care of the problem. About a week later, it was back and this time I found out it was caused by AdBlue. Apparently a wet rag is like watering your plants.

This time I cleaned it up with a vacuum cleaner and that took care of the problem, never to see it again. Among other new diesels, I've notice Mercedes and GM put the AdBlue in the fuel tank filler port where spillage will not result in a "snowstorm" in the trunk. I've read left untreated, a AdBlue spillage with spread throughout the inside of a vehicle. It just GROWS.

#5 ·
I have a 2013 Passat TDI. I have found a local farm supply store with an extensive selection of funnels has one that fits the DEF filler neck in the trunk. The funnel has a sliding indicator that rises as the DEF reaches the bottom of the neck. I always fill it slowly anyway so I haven't had a mess (yet!) as the liquid approaches the top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.