Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1.9TDi(AVF) running problem

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  nord 
#1 ·
Have anyone else experienced same or know what could be a problem? Patient is Volkswagen Passat Variant 1.9TDi Tiptronic -02

One morning(it was about +3C and it was wet since snow was melting) I started the car, it started just fine, I drove it maybe 50m and shut it off. Loaded up, started and drove maybe 600m to gas station and filled it up.

Now, the next start wasn't normal. The car started, but would shut itself of immediately. I tried couple times and when I finally got it running it was running really rough and pressing gas pedal didn't do anything. I shut it off and tried again and still the same. Sounded like it wasn't firing on all cylinders and giving out really black smoke you see on old diesels that are running too rich. I happen to have laptop with me so I checked with VCDS the error codes (there were none) and quickly checked also the measurement block values, but couldn't see any obvious error there (of course since the ECU didn't notice anything either). At some point pressing gas pedal to the floor caused the rpm to rise maybe 100-200rpm, but that's all.

I shut the car off and let it be for maybe 15-20min. After that it started like nothing ever happened and has been working ever since. It's been now couple days and close to 1000km later.

Any idea what might cause that and is there something acting up that can break soon? It has never done that before with me.

See less See more
#2 ·
As noted, black smoke indicates either over-fuel or lack of air. My experience is with a North American ALH so your systems are a bit different. All the same there are two prime suspects in my opinion.

1. ASV... Given the temps listed it's possible the ASV shutter stuck partially closed. While this should flag an error, it doesn't always do so.

2. EGR... Three components in one. Valve assembly, actuator, and sensor. The three don't always cooperate with each other.

My instincts say EGR valve. I had one fail on my Jetta. No codes for quite some time. A stall not too long after starting. Lots of smoke and terrible running, then "magically" clearing itself for days on end.

Only after a month or so did the car go into limp mode and throw error codes.

I hope this will be of some small help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.