Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

2005 B5.5 2.0 TDI Wagon brake issues

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  k_harley 
#1 ·
Howdy,

I don't know if have the correct page for my question, but if it is in the wrong section, I'm certain "someone" will move it. Since my independent shop replaced the master cylinder, the brakes coming to a stop in a "parking lot" are minimal at best. It's getting to the point where when I look for a parking space, I look where there is not a car in front of me.

From what my mechanic told me, while the car is going down the road normally, the vacuum is making about 6psi...or something like that, but when I get to a parking lot, BECAUSE the vehicle is not under power, it is not making enough vacuum, this actually operating with "manual " brakes. So that when come to a parking space, I have to press down HARD on the pedal. The shop bled the system several times and re-checked the master cylinder and all came out well...what they are saying it probably boils down to the Power Boost Assist Vacuum Pump being bad......wondering what y'all think?

Jerry

#4 ·
Yes Hu...all the lines were checked. I was informed that there may be a leak in the power assist booster...but they were not certain. I'm gong to be taking the car into VW next week for a second opinion. I DO like my independent shop, but there are things pertaining to this TDI that they have little knowledge about and they said they will admit to that immediately, in fact they said they would appreciate my taking it to a dealership. My reason for gooing to an independent shop is that the labor charges are much less expensive.

Thank you Hu VW for your reposnse and suggestion.

Jerry

#5 ·
There is also a vacuum pump, type dependent on whether the engine does/n't have the balance shaft which could also be the problem. The vacuum pump is located on the rear of the engine block towards the top. For engines without the balance shaft it is rather large. Both have a check valved line running to the brake booster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.