Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

passat tdi b5.5 130bhp loud resonance vibration at 1500-2000rpm

17K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Solway 
#1 · (Edited)
Yesterday coming home from work my Passat TDI 2002 Estate/wagon has begun vibrating pretty strongly whenever the engine RPM is near 2,000 RPM.
It seems like vibrations/resonance is stronger on the low side of 2k (~1,800) but when over 2,100 it disappears. (any gear)

it also happens when car is stationary, revving to 2,000rpm as well.
Doesn't happen when on the move, out of gear, therefore rules out any CV joints, axles etc. its engine related...

After putting it over a pit and revving it, the sound is mostly transferring through the exhaust.

One engine mount could do with being replaced. but doesn't move much, only move slightly when completely jacking it up. so not a major issue and prob not the cause.
all other transmission mounts etc are fine.

Any ideas? please help!

#5 ·
Been doing a few tests on way home from work:

Parked. Out of gear. Idle. 800-900rpm no vibration.
Parked. Out of gear. Revving to 1800-2000rpm. Vibration there
Parked. Out of gear. Revving 2100+rpm no vibration
Driving. In any gear. 1800-2000rpm. Vibration there
Driving. In any gear. Over 2100+rpm. No vibration
Driving. Out of gear down hill. Engine at 900rpm i.e idle. No vibration
Driving. Out of gear down hill. Revving engine up to 2000+ (car just free wheeling, but engine being revved) Very slight vibration

If fly wheel. Wound it vibrate all the time when free wheeling?

#10 ·
Had the same 2000 RPM vibration problem with my 02 Passat. The nut on the top of the right motor mount was loose. Tightening not only fixed the 2000 RPM vibration problem but now vibration is much less at idle as well. This also fixed the 3-2 downshift clunk I was having. I thought that was transmission related, but as it turns out it was the motor mounts. So the symptoms for motor mount problems are vibration and transmission downshift noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.