Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

84 mpg?

Tags
mpg
14K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Mexicokid 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Slight downhill, tail wind, under 40 mph, should get at least that....

Returning from our cottage near the ski resort, we get at least 100 mpg. Mind you it is all downhill...

Over the 4000 km we have on the odometer on our 2012 Passat Tdi, dsg transmission, sport and nav, we are averaging 5.9 liters per 100 km. That's with a 60/40 highway-city split. We are very happy with the mileage.

Tor

#14 ·
Slight downhill, tail wind, under 40 mph, should get at least that....

Returning from our cottage near the ski resort, we get at least 100 mpg. Mind you it is all downhill...

Over the 4000 km we have on the odometer on our 2012 Passat Tdi, dsg transmission, sport and nav, we are averaging 5.9 liters per 100 km. That's with a 60/40 highway-city split. We are very happy with the mileage.

Tor
I know the skihill road he's describing. What you have to understand about this road is that it's a long steep narrow mountain road and he probably doesn't need to use the throttle much going downhill and is just using the brakes and transmission to brake where necessary. Ask him what his gas mileage is going up the hill! :poke:

#5 ·
Perhaps the original poster should provide details. We now have 5000 km on our TDI, and our cumulative mileage is 5.9 liters per 100 km based on a 50-50 split city- highway driving. That's 48 miles per Canadian (4.54 liter) gallon. On several long highway trips, we got 60 to 63 mpg. That was cruising at 110 to 120 kph. The furthest we travelled before re fueling was 1140 km. Our car is stock - no tune.
By comparison, our 2002 Passat GLS 1.8 turbo with tiptronic gets 22 to 24 mpg in city driving, and 30 to 32 mpg highway (again based on 4.54 liter Imperial gallon).

The difference in mpg is amazing!!!!

Tor

#12 ·
Wifie drives our king tiger tank (turret not installed, yet): 2005 passat TDI wagon(tiptronic). 6day /week commute 80km(both ways, highway) averaging 6L/100km. she's not shy on the gas pedal: highway speed 120km/h, city 50km/h-60km/h.
on longer trips such as Montreal ->Toronto (ca 500km) we are averaging 5.4L/100km (cruise speed of 120km/h)

i'm driving 2013 Jetta TDI (standard): 80% highway/ 20%city: average consumption 4.0L/100km, average speed 110-120km/h
When i told the dealer what consumption i'm getting, he was quiet amazed.
I wonder what would be the mpgs on the VW GTD?

#18 ·
Spring Break 2015 round trip from central Illinois to Sarasota, FL, 2400 miles, average was 46.3 mpg driving 75-80 mph. Had heater core issue, was replaced and dealer tweaked something on my pump while it was in the shop and told me it was a mandatory recall. Just got back from the same exact trip this year, 37.4 mpg, what a crock!

#19 ·
i've got a b7 with gti wheels, 18x8 and i still get ~35 in city and maybe 27 if i'm being a lead-footed ass in traffic.
people around won't think i'm driving something far more efficient than a prius :)

edit: by that i mean more efficient even while ass-hatting around town with a lead foot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.