Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

wet back floor????

Tags
back floor wet
11K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  lesterthelab 
#1 ·
I've been going round and round internet this afternoon and have found this forum so going to post here.....

I have a 2003 Passat TDI Sport.... It has a very soggy back passanger floor... had a mechanic look at it he says it something to do with air filter and it will take him a whole day to fix it (at £14 ph) and needs sorted asap as there are electric components below this and they could be damaged.

So was chatting to a colleague bout this and low and behold she has a 2004 Passat which presented itself with same problem.... her mechanic replaced/ cleaned filter and bored a bung in the undercarriage of her car and no probs ever since and that was 3 years ago.... it cost her bout £20.....

Big difference in prices and I do want the problem sorted asap but don't want to be ripped offf... no idea bout cars and parts etc so need to go to mechanic armed with information or suggestions other than a full days work..... any help greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
It is a blocked pollen filter not an air filter. Its located under the sash on the passangers side. Either that it is the drain holes underneath the battery. Remove the battery and clean the holes and replace the pollen filter and you should be ok. Have you a sunroof??

#6 ·
firstly i live in the UK and secondly my car is 2002 so going to a vw dealer who will charge an arm and leg not an option..... i'm hoping to arm myself with enough info on what needs to be done to give to my mechanic to stop him spending an entire day work on the car thus costing a fortune.....

so far i've learnt that it is the pollen filter which either needs replaced or cleaned or possibly the sun roof drains......

where is the bung in my car to drain away the fluid already there????

#7 ·
I have a 2002,and when I first bought it,I had water puddle in the back and front in the passenger side,but I fixed it myself,since there is no recall for pollen filter in here,you will have to take off the plastic cover which have the whipers arms to have access to the pollen filter holder,and when you take it off,clean underneath it very well,and make sure it's very dry,then apply silicon there,they put it back,and everything will be fixed,no more water,and since you are working in that area,clean the drains under the battery and under the servo.

#8 ·
In the passats first after buy you need:
-clean and dry servo/battery area and cut out this plastic drains
-remove polen filter and ecu box, than fix then bac with silicone for oil sump as sanitary one is not suitable as is get damp after some year
-than remove carpet dry all and look at the underbody cups if some of them is missing replace it
-if you have sunroof all drains have to be cleaned

If you do this you have no any problems with water inside. That said ''me'' guy from UK where is raining most time of the year;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.